Industries and Sectors
Retail & Grocery
Retail is as much about brand and making the right impression as it is about quality and price. Our firm acts for some of the largest and best known retail and grocery chains in Canada because we understand that simple truth. The last thing you want is to have a relatively straightforward legal matter become the next news story. That means structuring your business affairs to minimize legal entaglements and dealing with them swiftly and effectively when they arise.
Lawyers at our firm advise and represent retail and grocery retail clients:
- in workers' compensation claims management and applications for cost relief (SIEF) and transfer of cost adjudication;
- in developing and reviewing human resources policies;
- when responding to demands from former employees and in wrongful dismissal and human rights litigation;
- to fight union organizing drives and certification applications or to effectively operate with the unions that represent their employees;
- in developing and reviewing contractor policies to address employment, labour relations, health and safety and workers' compensation issues; and
- when defending charges under the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Workplace Safety and Insurance Act.
We understand, particularly where the brand is centralized or licensed under franchise arrangements, that corporate human resources and legal departments have to retain a degree of control or at least input - without directly involving corporate or the franchisor in the dispute. We have significant experience navigating these sophisticated relationships.