Industries and Sectors
Public & Municipal
Employers in the public and municipal sectors face unique labour relations challenges created by strong unions, complex collective agreements, special legislation and, as if all that is not enough, external and internal political forces. Our firm has been advising employers in the public and municipal sectors for decades. We understand the challenges employers in these sectors face and help them delicately balance the legal and practical issues to achieve positive labour relations outcomes.
We are a proud sponsor of the Ontario Municipal Human Resources Association and we are frequent speakers at conferences for municipal H.R. professionals.
We have assisted our public and municipal sector clients:
- with developing and implementing human resources policies;
- by providing day-to-day, strategic advice and counsel;
- by representing them at the table and providing strategic advice in collective bargaining, particularly when seeking significant concessions and by representing them in interest arbitration when settlement is not forthcoming or not an option;
- by providng strategic legal advice through the grievance process and representing them at arbitration;
- by representing them when responding to demands from former employees and in wrongful dismissal and human rights litigation;
- in workers' compensation claims management and applications for cost relief (SIEF) and transfer of cost adjudication; and
- when defending charges under the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Workplace Safety and Insurance Act.