Industries and Sectors
Mining & Forestry
Natural resource extraction is a signficant part of Canada's economy. Aside from the direct economic benefits, mining and forestry operations create employment for thousands in related business and surrounding communities. Companies in this sector work hard to extract resources in a responsible and sustainable manner, and to ensure everyone makes it home safely at the end of the day.
We have assisted our mining and forestry clients:
- with developing and implementing health and safety and human resources policies;
- with cross-border hiring of employees in a wide range of occupational groups, including inter-company and cross-border transfers under NAFTA and GATS;
- by drafting template and executive employment contracts;
- by representing them at the table and providing strategic advice in collective bargaining, particularly when seeking significant concessions;
- in the context of restructuring, by providing practical and strategic legal and risk analysis on labour cost reduction and effective management of phased layoffs and reorganization;
- by representing them when responding to demands from former employees and in wrongful dismissal and human rights litigation;
- in workers' compensation claims management and applications for cost relief (SIEF) and transfer of cost adjudication; and
- when defending charges under the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Workplace Safety and Insurance Act.