Industries and Sectors
In our increasingly knowledge-based economy, education is power. Parents, students and the public are more demanding. Meeting their expectations, often with significant budget constraints, can be a daunting challenge.
Our lawyers understand the challenges faced by our schools and educators. We work closely with our clients to design and implement practical human resources policies that improve the institution's esprit de corps, and help them to take effective measures to keep labour costs under control while maintaining high standards.
We have assisted our education sector clients:
- with developing and implementing human resources policies;
- by providing day-to-day, strategic advice and counsel;
- by representing them at the table and providing advice in collective bargaining;
- by providing advice through the grievance process and representing them at arbitration;
- by representing them when responding to demands from former employees and in wrongful dismissal and human rights litigation;
- in workers' compensation claims management and applications for cost relief (SIEF) and transfer of cost adjudication; and
- when defending charges under the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Workplace Safety and Insurance Act.