Industries and Sectors
Arts & Entertainment
The arts & entertainment sector in Ontario is as varied as the venues and performances. This sector is especially unique because there isn't always a clear division between employers and employees: many performers are also producers or artistic directors, and most entered the sector because they have a passion for the arts.
The sector is also unique from a legal perspective. It is highly unionized and union houses and companies are subject to labour relations structures with specialized industry unions. Our clients in this area range from small, independent producers and theatre companies to concert halls. Our familiarity with these unions and their collective agreements and with the sector in general is an invaluable asset to our clients.
We represent employers and producers in the arts & entertainment sector:
- in litigation at the Ontario Labour Relations Board (including applications for certification, common employer/sale of business applications, and more);
- in collective bargaining and arbitration;
- when managing and appealing workers' compensation claims;
- regarding health and safety and human resources policy review and development;
- regarding contract review and development to address labour relations, health and safety and workers' compensation issues; and
- providing representation when defending charges under the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Workplace Safety and Insurance Act.